This is not a "niche" blog. This is everything that makes me, me - or at least the bits I write down. There's no such thing as a "niche" person.

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Being Dad

Rachel was getting very fed up with me giving her suggestions on the way to the festival this morning; I was only trying to give her reminders about putting lots of energy into her performance etc, but she had clearly had enough of me going on at her. I had a sudden moment of insight, and explained to her that because I'm her Dad I really want to do the best I can for her, but since I can't sing and I can't dance all I can do is try to give advice, even though she may not want it and almost certainly doesn't need it.

I guess that's the fate of Dads: we watch our children getting more and more capable and talented, and suddenly realise that they've gone past the point where we can do anything useful to help. Watching and supporting is great, but Dads long to feel useful... and sometimes it's hard to let go of that.

1 comment:

MuchTrouble said...

Oh "Dad"....You need to look at that very independent person and proudly realize you did your job well! A GOOD parent raises the child to be able to fly away from the nest. It may hurt to no longer be God in a little person's eyes, but the playing field is leveling, and soon you will be equals and friends. (Different, but just as good!)

(This is to you, Steve, not necessarily for posting. I am a mother of 5 and a friend of a friend. I AM older than you, so I have worked through some of the stuff you are experiencing now.*Mary*)