This is not a "niche" blog. This is everything that makes me, me - or at least the bits I write down. There's no such thing as a "niche" person.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Civil liberties in an information society

E-Health Insider have picked up on articles in today's Guardian, emphasising the concerns over confidentiality and security of the national patient database. The Guardian is also providing a template so that people can opt out of the system - with a comment that if enough people refuse to have their details on the Spine, then the system will be unworkable and will be abandoned. Normally I'm on the side of the Civil Liberties lobby, but in this instance it seems crazy to try and wreck the whole system. Patient records will be held electronically; my records at my local GP haven't been on paper for several years. If I'm admitted to hospital, I want my notes to be available to hospital staff - particularly if there is some urgency, or if I can't provide relevant information. Surely it makes more sense to campaign for increased safeguards and stricter penalties for those who attempt to misuse data, rather than trying to delay or disrupt a useful and necessary but imperfect system?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The objective is to move away from obligatory national database to locally held electronic records from which relevent and necessary information can be passed on an as required basis.

More complex but provides most of the functionality and substantially reduces the ethical and privacy concerns.

If there is information in your medical history that would be relevent to a doctor in an emergency, carry it with you on a piece of paper.

see

http://www.ardenhoe.demon.co.uk/NHS%20Database%20Privacy.pdf

http://www.ardenhoe.demon.co.uk/privacy/Paradoxical%20access.pdf

and other links off same site.

Regards,

Paul

paulthornton@beeb.net