This is not a "niche" blog. This is everything that makes me, me - or at least the bits I write down. There's no such thing as a "niche" person.

Monday, November 27, 2006

Laptop

Over a month ago I sent Daniel's laptop to Medion for repair or replacement, as it was less than a year old and had gone wrong (for the second time). I had phoned their customer service line several times - they never ever phoned me despite promising someone would call me back - and run up phone bills listening to their choice of queuing music, as well as repeatedly emailing them a scan of the receipt (which at first they denied receiving - they don't reply to emails either) to prove that the laptop was less than a year old. Eventually they conceded that the screen being completely white wasn't something they could sort out over the phone and Parcelforce took it away. I called again two weeks ago to find out what was happening and was told that they had replaced the keyboard (why?) but it had failed testing because the screen was white, so they'd ordered a new screen. I called again this morning and was told that two weeks ago they'd replaced the main board (aha - so not the keyboard then) but it had failed testing because the screen was white and so they'd ordered a new screen. I pointed out that this was two weeks ago, but the lady in their call centre explained there was nothing she could do except email someone to point out that the new screen hadn't arrived. Given Medion's record on emails, I wasn't hopeful, so asked who I called to complain. I was told that complaints have to be in writing - presumably nobody wants to talk to angry customers. She did give me an email address, to which I will send a copy of this blog post, in the hope that I can find out
  • why it has taken so long to diagnose the problem with this, given that I gave them a full description over the phone and simply trying to switch on the laptop on the day it was delivered would have given them a clue
  • whether in fact the delay is due to the incredibly high number of faulty machines sent back to Medion or to their underinvestment in tech staff
  • why it takes a company over two weeks to get a component for one of their own machines
  • whether they have any comment to make about never returning phone calls or replying to emails

If I get a reply I'll post it here, but I'm not indulging in any breathholding.

UPDATE: I've just realised that Medion's hotline web page is headed "I have a problem" and continues "is a phrase that we often hear when customers call our telephone hotline." Could it in fact be the phrase "I have a problem with your appalling level of service and apparent total disregard for your customers"?

No comments: