This is not a "niche" blog. This is everything that makes me, me - or at least the bits I write down. There's no such thing as a "niche" person.

Monday, November 06, 2006

Strange pronouncements on Scottish smoking

BBC news carries a story that Scotland's Chief Medical Officer has said the country's smoking ban will reduce the number suffering from lung cancer. I'm not sure whether a ban on smoking in public places is any more effective than other measures in stopping people from smoking, but I was slightly taken aback by the comments by Neil Rafferty, from the Freedom Organisation for the Right to Enjoy Smoking Tobacco (FOREST - a desperate attempt to get a good acronym if ever I heard one), who said that there is no conclusive evidence that lung cancer is caused by second hand smoke. Just out of curiosity, I put the phrase "conclusive evidence that lung cancer is caused by second hand smoke" into Google - perhaps Mr Rafferty should try the same. The winning bizarreness, however, has to be this: "Mr Rafferty said that by claiming such good results from the policy, the public could be misled into entrusting politicians with more power over people's lives". I'm sorry? Are we to assume that the Government should only deliver inaccurate and negative public health messages, in case the populace foolishly decide that they will hand over all responsibility and control to elected officials? "This Government has done something helpful: I must give them complete power over my life." Any evidence that smoking causes brain damage?

No comments: