This is not a "niche" blog. This is everything that makes me, me - or at least the bits I write down. There's no such thing as a "niche" person.

Friday, May 04, 2007

Moving at work



We're moving out of our old office at Central Health Clinic. At the moment I'm in the corner office on the first floor - the small windows in the brick wall at the front corner in this picture are to my right. I face the wall and can turn to my right if I want to talk to the other people in the room. Today we went over to Cumberland House, which is the building with the tree next to it. Again I have a corner office on the first floor (the windows at the front corner of the building that have no ground floor underneath them), but there's a big difference when you get inside. This is the inside of my new office - but this is only a small part of a huge room that has several islands of desks in it. My desk is the one furthest away, so that I'm sitting with my back to the corner, and can't look out of either window without turning round. I'm therefore looking at everyone else in the room. Even worse, all the other five desks in this island belong to the same team, so they all know each other. I'd turn the desk round so that it faces the window, except that the phone is plugged into the floor just underneath. I just hate the thought of being stuck with a whole load of people who know each other but whom I don't know at all, in huge open plan office, and no way of avoiding contact, not even a screen between the desks. There's no wall to stick anything up on, no way of personalising my space, no privacy.

I don't know whether I wish I'd done what most other people have done and been over to visit a couple of months ago, so that I was used to the idea; or to be glad that I haven't found out what it's like until now so that I have less time to dread it.

No comments: